Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Winston

You'd expect a one-of-a-kind dog to come into your family in a one-of-a-kind way.  In early 2006, I received a call from a friend who had a coworker in a bind.  His wife had given him a puppy as a gift, then learned, much to her chagrin, that she was badly allergic to the dog.  My friend knew that the Vaughans are a dog loving family and wondered if we could consider giving this pup a home, thus sparing a regretful puppy-purchasing wife from a series of allergy shots.  I cheated, a little.  I put a picture of the pup on my computer screen and left it there until Linda stopped by my office.  When she saw the puppy pic, she asked about the dog.  I replied, "That little guy needs a home."  "Let's give it a home, Dee," she exclaimed. 

The next day, I went to the allergic owner's home to meet the dog and consider the adoption.  The puppy was, of course, adorable.  I'm the kind of guy who shouldn't pick up puppies or guitars unless I'm very serious about taking them home with me.  The owner repeated the story about his wife's allergic reaction to the puppy and asked me if I thought we could add him to our family's pack of pooches.  Holding Winston, as I learned the dog had been named, how could I refuse.  Then came a bit of a surprise.  Rather than giving me some kind of humanitarian award for rescuing this dog and his allergic wife, the owner said, "I think $300 would cover the cost of the dog and the toys and food we'll send with him."  I thought I was on a rescue mission, not a shopping trip.  Still, having actually held the puppy, I coughed up the money and took Winston home.  

Winston entered the Vaughan household to a very mixed reception.  Linda, who loves all dogs and is loved by them, took to Winston in an instant.  The children loved him, too.  But Minnie, our Pomeranian, wanted nothing to do with this puppy-come-lately.  Linda put the two of them in her lap to get acquainted, but Minnie turned away and refused to even look at the new dog.  She finally crawled up on Linda's shoulder to get away from Winston.  The cold reception didn't last very long.  Minnie became Winston's canine step-mother.  She kept him in line and often stepped in between Winston and Dixie, our 65-pound retriever who loved to toy with the easily intimidated Winston.  

Winston was quirky.  He experienced the world in a unique way, compared to the many other dogs we've welcomed into our family.  He never liked to play.  He was too serious for that.  Winston didn't tolerate too much physical contact.  He did not enjoy being held and petted.  He did like to sit up next to you as long as he initiated the contact.  Winston was stubborn as a mule.  When we introduced him to a metal dog crate as his bedroom, he protested, long and loud.  He barked for hours and became so frustrated he chewed on the bars of the crate.  He bent several of them and actually broke one of them loose.  Winston was a dropout from housebreaking school.  No matter what reward, punishment, schedule or other training method we tried, he never lost his appreciation for marking the inside of our house as his territory.  An an expression of his delusion of dominance, Winston loved to lie on top of the back of our couch, a lofty perch from which he could survey his "kingdom."  

The couch is one of the first places I noticed life was changing for our Winston.  He was nearly fifteen years old when I noticed he stopped leaping to the top of the sofa.  Several times, I saw him jump up on the seat of the couch, look up to measure the next leap, and stop, his back legs trembling.  He reminded me of my last days as a basketball player, when the floor became like fly paper that wouldn't let me jump.  Sadly, that wasn't the only change in Winston's life.  He developed pancreatitis, which required us to give him prescription dog food that cost as much as steak and wasn't nearly as appetizing.  He would begin some days with an almost insatiable thirst, lapping up most of a bowl of water.  His bad habit of marking the inside of our home became a chronic problem of leaving big puddles on the floor.  Then, a few days before Christmas, I awoke to realize my Yorkie alarm clock had not gone off.  Winston always barked to go outside about 5 a.m.  This morning, the silence was deafening and frightening.  I went to the crate he shares with Basil, our latest Pomeranian, and found him staring at me, seeming to say, "You're not going to make me move, are you?"  I carried him outside and watched him closely.  He was uncomfortable, to say the least.  I asked Linda to make an appointment for Winston with his vet.  

Visiting the vet, like everything else, has been changed drastically by Covid precautions.  I drove Winston to the vet's office, then waited in the car for an aide to come to my window, review Winston's symptoms, and take him in to see the doctor.  I sat in the car, listened to music, and played with my iPhone, trying not to think about how sick Winston might be.  After a while, the doctor called me to say she suspected Winston had some kind of mass on his liver, but would need an x-ray to be confident of the diagnosis.  A few minutes later, the nice vet walked to my car and showed me her cell phone.  On it was a picture of Winston's abdomen, at least half of it whited-out by a monster of a mass.  The vet had no effective treatment to offer.  Linda and I had already had "the talk" so I told the vet we wanted to bring Winston's struggle to an end.  

"Do you want to be with him?" she asked.  "Yes," I said without a second thought.  Any living thing deserves to come to the end of life in the presence of family love.  "Then pull your car around to the back of our building and we'll bring him out to you soon."  In a little while, the good doctor came out the back door, carrying Winston with an IVP in his leg.  I held that little dog in my big old hands as medicine flowed into his body and the life flowed out of it.  

I probably startled the vet with my first words after Winston died, "I've changed my mind."  I quickly added, "We want him to be cremated."  

I'm in the presence of death fairly often as a pastor and have learned to process my own emotions in that situation.  But, as I drove out of the parking lot toward home, I wept uncontrollably  Dogs are so loving and loyal, even curmudgeon-like Winston.  They make so much more sense than people do.  Why is their time to walk this earth so brief?  That's on my list of questions to ask the boss when I see Him.  

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you had to lose Winston. But I'm equally glad for the years of happiness he had in your home. I'm confident there will be animals in heaven, both domesticated and "wild." They are a wonderful part of creation and many of us have been blessed by having them in our homes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so very sorry about Winston. Thank you for sharing this wonderful and loving relationship with us. Your writing and ability to tell a story are God given. May Winston be forever in your hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Dee, this just broke my heart�� We adopted a rescue last October! We really had no problem training her(River) as far as housebreaking, but I forgot how pups like to chew on things! I took Frank to the VA Dr one day, for a short visit and just closed River in our bathroom thinking she would be fine, when we returned shortly, she was sitting on the floor just wagging her whole body because we were home! As I opened the door completely I noticed that pieces of molding had been destroyed and she tried to chew on the door going into the toilet room! Ooops! Then shortly thereafter, I noticed she wasn’t eating her puppy chow out of her bowl, mixed it with wet food, still not eating it! After many vet visits with tests, X-rays, etc$$$$She was put on Prescription dog food! Liked it, but still wouldn’t and still won’t eat it out of a bowl, plate, off the floor......I have to hand feed her! She will be 2 years old? March 25 and is the sweetest dog we have ever had! She wants to be touched by everybody and play with every dog in the neighborhood! She weighs about 57 pounds, which my vet said is good for her build, loves her big Y shaped bacon flavored bones, in fact they are really her toys too. Wants everyone in the neighborhood to rub her head, would prefer her stomach m, but will take what she can get! Loves to walk with her nose to the ground,, but the only way she will eat is out of my hand! I know it’s my fault because I was trying everything to get her food in her, so yes, I guess I will always have to feed her out of my hand! But River is now called the mascot of the neighborhood, because she wants to be petted by all the humans and play with all the dogs! She has our hearts and will continue to feed her this way as long as I can either lie on the bed with her or sit on the floor while she lies on the bed and eats out of my hand! Caleb, our now 24 year old grandson, when he comes home from work! She is overjoyed to see him and be petted by him! I now know what real dog love is like! And it makes me and my Frank so happy! Not pertaining to my River, but please pray for my Frank as he has been hit hard since May of 19 with so many effects of Agent Orange from her service in Vietnam and we would appreciate all prayers! Since this Covid outbreak, neither my Frank or I have been able to go to our church and we really miss being in the Lord’s House and listening to His Word from our pastor! We watch the videos and our Pastor had been coming by , as well as others from our church, but they are unable to visit us now! Thank you for lifting a prayer for my Frank! We miss you and your whole family and pray for y’all every day, especially your precious Linda since her fall! We know that God hears every prayer lifted and therefore would love for you and your family to lift him in your prayers! We will always love and miss you all❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete