Tuesday, August 18, 2020

The Nicest Way to Declare a Sermon Too Long

 

Generally, I preach messages that last 20-25 minutes.  I seldom stray outside that timeframe.  Most of the worship services I lead dismiss on time.  But, one Sunday, I lost all track of time.  The outline I had prepared and printed in the bulletin had far too many points and I had a story to tell about each jot and tittle of that plethora of ideas.  I should have found a suitable stopping place and told the congregation we’d finish the message next Sunday.  But, I didn’t.  I persevered to the end.  Most of my poor congregation “suffered long and was kind.” 

When I returned to my office after the service, I faced my family’s post-game analysis (more like an autopsy) of my message.  My son said, in great desperation, “Couldn’t you find a place to stop?  And do you have to tell a story for every idea you teach?”  Linda was far more diplomatic.  In fact, in my book, she holds the world record for the kindest way to declare a sermon too long.  She said, “Dee, today’s message would make a good sermon series.”  A few years later, it actually did. Like the loaves and fishes, that one sermon, only slightly expanded, fed the congregation for five Sundays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment