Friday, September 20, 2019

A Tough Question God Asked Me


I want to tell you about a tough question God has asked me.  I could take you to the very place where I first sensed it.  We wouldn’t have to go very far.  I was sitting at the desk in the pastor’s study of this church.  I hadn’t been here very long.  I’d unpacked all my boxes of books and sermons and files.  I’d hung my pictures on the walls, put my guitars in the closet and my Andy Griffith Show DVDs on the shelf.  I was here.  But as I sat at my desk that day, staring into a computer screen and struggling to focus my heart on the work I’d come here to do, I realized that part of me was far away, about a hundred miles away, to be precise.  As much as I’d wanted to leave them behind, I’d brought with me some deep wounds, nightmarish memories of the most hurtful experience I’d known in more than thirty years of ministry.  I’d talked to friends, colleagues, and mentors in an effort to unpack some of my thoughts and feelings and, hopefully, begin a healing process.  Those steps were good, but still I felt stuck.  Too many thoughts and feelings focused on apologies I was owed, people who needed to be held accountable, and second-guessing every word I said and choice I’d made during that ordeal.  It was like a bad song you hear on the radio and can’t get out of your head.  As I sat there, with one foot in the present and the other stuck in the miry clay of the past, God posed a question to me.  This one didn’t come through a lecture or a friend’s testimony.  I was alone with God when He asked,

What do you want to do with the rest of your life?

I’m not the world’s greatest goal-setter or plan-maker, so my first answer was an honest, “I don’t know.” God, the Wonderful Counselor, pointed me toward a place where I could begin to build an answer.  

“Do you want to spend the rest of your life doing this; trying to fix the past, waiting for others to repent of their ways, beating your head against an emotional brick wall, or do you want something better?” 

“I really do want something better,” I answered.

“What pieces of that better life can you see?” 

“I want you serve You here with my whole heart.
I want to do the best preaching I’ve ever done.
I want to enjoy my family, my children, my grandchildren.
I’ve never written a book.  I think I have something to say.
I’ve never been on a foreign mission trip.  I can do that here.”

That day, that question, those first steps toward an answer, were a turning point in my life.  

I don’t take your hurts lightly.  I understand your desire to make bad times make sense, to somehow feel a great wrong has been made right, to finally feel closure of an opened wound. 

I’m not God, but God is here.  And I believe, with all my heart, that He wants your life to be about today’s joys and tomorrow’s dreams much more than yesterday’s hurts.  And, as He sees you stuck in the past with time slipping away like water through your fingers, He may be here to ask you what He asked me, to turn your heart away from a past stained by others’ sins toward a future waiting to be created by His love.  Hurting friend, “What do you want to do with the rest of your life?”


1 comment:

  1. I can answer this pretty quickly! Frank has had a really bad year health wise! Still struggling with some issues, but as he has been so sick these past months I have retreated to my “War Room” that I had been working on for months. Been sitting in there to cry, pray, beg God in the middle of the night, etc. Our Caleb has chosen to live with us, basically since Mama died, so that is a place I can go to at anytime and do all the above! I’ve always had a devotional book, but this year I have really been reading in God’s Word and trying to understand what he is really saying to me! I think that Frank’s ongoing issues with Congestive Heart Failure, COPD, etc, all related to Vietnam, has brought us both closer to the Lord and I truly do believe that this is our trials that has brought us so much closer to Him and our whole church family! I know this is not an answer that you would get from people your age or younger, but I know that He wants us to continue drawing and searching His Word for as many years as we have left on this earth! I think of Mama so much now and know that she is smiling and nodding her head because we have finally understood those years that she stayed in the Word !!! Please give our love to your whole beautiful family! And Daddy would be so proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete