Thursday, August 18, 2016

What Would They Say?

Wednesday, I was sitting on the platform of St. Andrews Baptist Church, leading my fourteenth funeral of the year.  As I sat in my chair behind the pulpit, I witnessed something truly touching and, for me, soul-searching.

We had come to the part of the service designated in the program as a "Family Tribute."  I sat and listened as, one at a time, each of the deceased man's three sons came to the pulpit and shared grateful memories of their dad.  Each one saw his dad in a unique way, but they were in perfect unison in their admiration of their father's character, awareness of how much he had shaped their lives for good, and appreciation for how blessed they were to be raised by such a remarkable Christian man.

As I sat and listened to the thankful remembrances of these three sons, questions began to flood my mind.  "What if this were my funeral and my own three children had risen to speak?  What would they say?  What would they remember of the life we've shared?  Has my example led them toward the fullness of life or away from it?  Would they see their dad as a success in the things that matter most, or a failure?  Would they be able to say honestly, 'I'm glad you were my dad?'"  

Father's Day was two months ago, so I know I'm not writing this to lobby for a bigger gift.  The gift I received during that funeral service was a greater awareness of how the reality of death awakens us to the realities of life.

What would those close to you say at your funeral?  You may not want to think about it, but it's not a bad way to take inventory of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment