Sunday, February 7, 2016

You Will Love Others as You Love Yourself

When Linda and I were first married and living at Southeastern Seminary, my brother, Barry, came for a visit.  Our little duplex was next to the tennis courts, so we had the idea to find a fourth and play doubles.  Our friend, Mike, was happy to join Barry to take on Linda and me in a little friendly competition. 

You need to know that, at this stage of my life, I had never used the words “friendly” and “competition” in the same sentence, especially when my brother was involved.  I put a great deal of pressure on myself to win, criticized myself mercilessly for every mistake and, generally, suffered through the match, which we lost. 

That was not the true tragedy of the match.  The worst thing about that day was that I was as tough on Linda as I was on myself.  The same high-pressure, “Why can’t you do it right?” “The value of my life depends on how well we hit this little fuzzy ball across the net” things I said to myself, I said out loud to her.  I hurt her feelings.  I ruined what could have been a fun time.  In fact, I had a nightmare in which I heard an emergency room doctor ask Linda, “Mrs. Vaughan, before I remove that tennis racket from your husband’s body, can you tell me how it got there?”

What I saw so clearly and painfully that day was that the cruel way I treated myself in competitive situations set the tone for how I treated others.  I began to realize a great truth. 


I will love others as I love myself; as much or as little, as graciously or as critically, as affirming or as condemning as the way I relate to myself.  So will you.  If you don’t love yourself, you won’t love others very well either.  

No comments:

Post a Comment