Saturday, July 20, 2013

A Real Friend

It was a Tuesday night, the night for men’s intramural basketball.  I brought much more than my basketball shoes and sports goggles to the gym that night.  My heart was broken and burdened for a friend facing marital problems.  I faced several frustrations in the office that day.  I was hurt.  I was angry.  I didn't hide it.  I barked at the referees.  A kindergarten teacher would've written a note that said I didn't play very nicely with my friends.  I fouled out.  I took my shoes off and sat at the end of the bench by myself, staring at the floor.  Lost in my thoughts and my embarrassment, I lost track of the game.  The final buzzer was like an alarm clock awakening me.  When it did, I noticed that someone was sitting quietly beside me.  He wasn't one of my teammates.  In fact, I clearly remembered shoving him off of the court during the game so that I could get a rebound.  After a little while, he dared to speak. 

 Dee, I know something is on your mind tonight and I can tell it’s not good. You carry a lot of burdens for many of us, and I think you’re pretty weighed down right now.  I don’t have to know what’s got you down, but I do want you to know that I care.  You’re my friend and I love you. 

Rick’s words were a gift of true friendship because being my friend wasn’t a very easy thing to do right then.  Tough times reveal whether the love we claim for our friends is real.  The Proverbs teach us that,

(Proverbs 17:17) A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

A true friend loves you when you’re not the most popular person in the room; when you need more from them than you can give; when others walk away; when you’ve hurt or disappointed them and they have to see through your mistakes and see your heart.  

I saw true friendship at work that night and saw how much I want to be a friend like that to others.  How about you? 

Note: This is one of the stories that will appear in a book I'm working on right now.  The Stories of My Life will bring together a couple of hundred life experiences that have taught me how to live and love.  I'll tell you more when I know more!  Enjoy.  



No comments:

Post a Comment