Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Family Blessed by Intensive Care


I wrote this for the St. Andrews Baptist Church family, but I'm proud to celebrate it's truth with all who will read it.

I learn the most in the classes I’d rather not take.  That was true for me in school and has been true for me in life.  My latest class was a family crisis, the joyful occasion of my grandson, Creighton’s birth, which was suddenly transformed into a week of intensive care.  Creighton spent a week in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit of Lexington Medical Center.  Our family received another kind of intensive care—the prayers and support of the SABC family. 

The day after Creighton’s birth, during a routine assessment, his nurse observed that he was breathing very rapidly.  After consulting with one of the hospital’s neonatologists, Creighton was whisked away to NICU before Josh and Elizabeth, Creighton’s parents, fully understood why.  Creighton inhaled some amniotic fluid during the birth process.  The fluid settled in his lungs, making his breathing shallow and inefficient.  The NICU staff monitored him closely, tested him thoroughly, and treated him effectively.  They surrounded him with loving care. 

While the doctors and nurses were doing their healing work for Creighton, the SABC family was doing the same for the Vaughan and Davison families.  Visits by church staff were frequent and helpful.  Assurances of prayer, cards of encouragement, offers to help, and homemade food flowed into our lives from so many of you.  Josh Davison reflected on your ministry by saying,

We are so grateful to both the staff and membership of SABC, for how they prayed for and supported our family, especially our precious baby boy, Creighton Brooks, during our stay at Lexington Medical Center.  All of the visits, calls, and gifts are evidence of the tremendous heart that the SABC family has for Christ and His children.  

Creighton made progress each day and now is at home with his parents and his big brother, Liam.  Now that the crisis is over, I can reflect upon what I learned in this class I would rather not have taken.  I saw your hearts, full of love.  I saw your hands, working to lift us up.  I heard your prayers, your trust in God and your earnest desire for Creighton to be healed.  Your ministry to us made a huge difference.  Your ministry to other families, facing critical life moments, will do the same.  My Elizabeth said, "We are so thankful for all of the visits, prayers, and calls.  Without them we would not have been able to make it through the week."

No comments:

Post a Comment