Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Who's in Your Great Cloud of Witnesses?


This Sunday, as the church I serve gathers for worship, we'll remember and give thanks for members of our church family who’ve finished their earthly journey and gone home to heaven during the past three years.  Certainly, we feel a tinge of sadness as we see the names and pictures of people we’ve known and loved in the circle of our church family, people who are no longer physically among us.  But, All Saints’ Day is not a time for sadness as much as a time for gratitude for the lives and testimonies of great Christians who’ve loved us and served Christ through this church. 

Hebrews 12 teaches us that we are surrounded by “a great cloud of witnesses,” believers who have gone home before us, but continue to cheer us on as we run our race of faith.  We cherish the list of spiritual giants we find in Hebrews 11, great men and women of the faith whose example we’ll be blessed to follow.  All Saints’ Day is a time for you to make the reality of the “great cloud of witnesses” more personal.  Who have you known and loved whose life inspires and encourages you to live for Christ?  Who is cheering for you as you run your race?  Let me share a few of my spiritual cheerleaders as you think about yours.

 My parents gave me wonderful examples of devotion to Christ and faithfulness to His church.  My dad was especially vocal about loving his church as family.  My mom loved creative worship experiences and gave me my love of drama as a means to share the gospel. 


My pastor during my growing up days, Rev. W. Harry Floyd, became my role model for how to minister as a pastor.  I remember him coming to my home to see me as a young boy when he heard I was upset by the news that one of my counselors from Camp McCall had died.  He heard my profession of faith and baptized me as a new believer. He visited me one night in the hospital after feeling strongly led to pray for me.  I’ve never been led astray in my ministry by asking, “What would Preacher Floyd do?” 

Rev. Bobby Morrow, Linda’s home church pastor, took an interest in my ministry, affirmed my gifts, and spoke a good word for me as I sought ministry opportunities.  Knowing Bobby believed in me helped me believe in myself.

Creighton and Emily Edwards, a wonderful couple in one of the churches I’ve served, adopted our family, loved our children as church grandparents, and gave each of us a special blessing.  Our Josh sat in Creighton’s lap every Sunday.  Emily showed me how a Christian navigates through the rough waters of depression.  They live on in our hearts and cheer us on. 

As you remember and give thanks for saints who’ve gone home, I hope you’ll realize how rich you are and allow the lives of those who’ve gone before you to lift your spirits and renew your resolve to live for Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment