Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Unity Comes from Knowing We Fight the Same Battles


This past week, a woman walked into our church, asking to speak to the pastor and obviously in need of help.  As I sat down with her, I thought we could hardly be more different. 

·        A man and a woman
·        White and black
·        Provided for and painfully poor
·        Clean clothes and clothes worn too long
·        Clark’s tie-up shoes and a pair of bedroom slippers she’d walked in for miles
·        A talker and one who struggles to speak clearly

Through her tears, this sweet lady told me of the very difficult circumstances she faced.  As she spoke, I noticed that her body was jerking slightly, like many small convulsions.  As I continued to strain my ears to understand her, I learned why her body was in such turmoil.  “I’m bipolar,” she said, “and I’ve run out of medicine.”  “How long have you been without your medicine?” I asked.  “Five days,” she replied as she buried her face in her hands and wept. 

In that moment, I felt a profound connection with this lady.  We had something in common.  We’d faced the same enemy.  We’d fought the same battle.  She didn’t need to know anything about my medical history, but I wanted her to know that, at some level, I understood. 

“I’ve needed that kind of medicine before,” I said, “and I know you don’t need to be without it.  Let’s see what we can do.”  Our church helped her get her medication that day and she helped me see that no matter who we are or where we’ve been, as human beings, we’re fighting the same battles. 

We begin to experience unity in the human family when realize, once again, that we fight the same battles. 

·        I know what’s right and am so tempted to do wrong.
·        I let little things keep me from giving my life to what matters to God.
·        I’ve allowed unresolved differences to tear Christ’s body, His church, to pieces.
·        My life is very busy, but also very barren.
·        I’ve kept my faith a secret while people are dying without Christ. 

The church is not a museum for saints; it’s a support group for sinners and strugglers.  When we’re honest about the battles we’re fighting and dare to share them with each other, Jesus makes us one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment